Hiya Folks!
Last night I paid a visit to the world famous Javanese puppeteer Ki Purbo Asmoro. He is a Solo base Puppeteer in Central Java who's innovative styles have brought traditional Javanese puppetry into the 21st century and have reached a wider global audience. I traveled from Yogyakarta to Solo yesterday to touch base with my contact there a Kistie Emmerson who was once a New York City resident and pianist who left the hustle and bustle of New York City life to travel to Java and try her hand at being a Gamelan musican. She has since become a successs and was incredibly helpful in offering me an opportunity to meet with Ki Purbo and her wonderful translations throughout the interview.
Ki Purbo is an incredible man who has constructed more than 300 puppets and performas regularly on top of his teaching responsibilities at the conservatory. I'm sorry folks but I only have video if this meeting and to upload that on Java's "broadband" will be hopeful to the point of foolhardiness. As soon as I get home I will upload these and all the amzing videos I have collected from interviews and performances. Thanks for your patience and thanks for following along.
3 more days and I return home. Tomorrow I travel to Jakarta to meet with my old friend Pria who in middle school ignited this passion in me by bringing examples of puppetry from his own country and showing me how they work. See you all soon
Love
Daniel
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment